In June 1965, the University System of Georgia authorized the creation of a junior college in the Atlanta metropolitan area. A location was selected adjacent to the Atlanta Area Technical School and construction began in 1973, finishing the subsequent year. The construction cost an estimated $2 million. Classes began in September 1974 with an initial enrollment of 504 students.
The institution was originally known as Atlanta Junior College. The name was changed in 1988 to Atlanta Metropolitan College. For several decades after its establishment, the institution was the only predominantly African-American two-year institution in the state. In 2012, the institution began offering four-year degree programs. In the same year, the institution adopted its current name in recognition of its new status as state college.
Parking is free for majority of events. There are approximately 900 spaces available.
1630 Metropolitan Pkwy SW, Atlanta, GA 30310